What is Whole Brain Coaching All About?
Wholebrain and wholemind coaching is an all-encompassing approach to improving your human performance
There are two components to the Whole Brain Coaching Model.
1: The Coaching Model
What do we mean by coaching?
Ingvar Jonsson in his ground-breaking book on The Whole Brain Leader quotes Sir John Whitmore
“Coaching is about unlocking people’s potential to maximize their own performance. It is helping them to learn rather than teaching them.”
That’s pretty good introduction to the coaching process.
- Coaching involves and empowerment of individuals
- Coaching involves growth and learning
- Coaching is about working with another person
- Coaching is about assuming inherent potential
- Coaching is about building on strengths
- Coaching leaves accountability and responsibility with the person people coached.
Coaching is not consulting
Although we run a coaching , consulting and training company, Coaching is NOT consulting
Consulting is Telling and advising. There are times during our interaction with you and your company when we are wearing the consultant hat.
When it comes to coaching though we don’t consult, advise and tell.
Coaching is Not Mentoring
Mentoring normally involves someone who is an expert in a field with a lifetime of experience showing and guiding someone. Although there is frequently an overlap when a coach with a wealth of life experience coaches a younger person, the coaching experience is totally client centers and not directed by the coach.
Coaching is Not therapy
Once again we have both been trained in various therapeutic modalities including mind-based therapies and family therapy, but coaching is NOT therapy.
Therapy spends a lot of time looking for answers about why things are the way they are and what happened in the past.
Coaching is about the now and about creating a future.
Although the past has a lot going for it, because we have spent much of our lives there, the future is where we are going and we can shape that.
Coaching is about just that.: Making changes in the now to influence the future.
2: Wholebrain Orientation to the Coaching
Our Whole Brain approach top coaching means that we deliver content, coaching, and development in a way that brains like.
In addition to the above coaching model, you would experience coaching around the following areas of using your brain and changing the way that thinks in order to achieve what you want.
The Process of Whole Brain-Based Coaching may include the following elements.
- Brain profiling and feedback on your unique way of using your brain
- Influence coaching including the neurological influences that control your emotional state and decision-making
- How to avoid procrastination and stalling
- Build better habits using the latest neuroscience methods
- Your brain’s motivation system, threats, rewards and the human key concerns.
- Improving Focus and attention using mind-based techniques such as mindfulness and guided visualizations.
- Beliefs and values management